History of the APGAR FAMILY in America
(Apgar Family Association, Inc.)
Click on the Tree above to return to the General Section Main Page
   


William Apgar

Male 1752 - 1836


Personal Information    |    Notes    |    All    |    PDF

  • Name William Apgar 
    Born 1752 
    Gender Male 
    Occupation Blacksmith 
    Died 9 April 1836 
    Person ID I000031  Apgar Family | William

    Father Friedrich Epgert 
    Mother Anna Eva Schaefer 
    Family ID F00004  Group Sheet

    Family Catherine Pickel,   b. 1752,   d. 9 December 1831 
    Married 17 April 1774 
    Children 
     1. Joanna Gertrude Apgar
     2. Hannah Apgar
     3. Elizabeth Apgar
    +4. Nicholas P. Apgar,   b. 28 June 1779,   d. 1816
     5. James Apgar,   b. 1781,   d. 1819
    +6. William Apgar,   b. 29 October 1782,   d. 14 November 1853  (Age 71 years)
    +7. Elizabeth Apgar,   b. 12 June 1785,   d. 17 February 1876  (Age 90 years)
    +8. Sarah Apgar,   b. 12 June 1785,   d. 11 September 1868  (Age 83 years)
     9. Catherine Apgar
    +10. Nancy Apgar,   b. 12 July 1792,   d. 12 March 1848  (Age 55 years)
     11. William Apgar
    +12. George Pickel Apgar,   b. 1799,   d. 6 December 1864
    Family ID F00019  Group Sheet

  • Notes 
    • William C. was a blacksmith by trade. He probably also farmed as he had a family of 12 to feed. Eventually, William and Catherine bought land along the Brunswick Pike, about halfway between Perryville and Clinton, NJ. Here, William hoped to gain trade from shoeing the stagecoach horses that traversed the Pike from Easton to New Brunswick, NJ.

      Eventually, William and Catherine bought land along the Brunswick Pike, about halfway between Perryville and Clinton, NJ Here, William hoped to gain trade from shoeing the stagecoach horses that traversed the Pike from Easton to New Brunswick, NJ By this time the church in Potterstown had fallen into disuse, so William and Catherine attended the Bethlehem Presbyterian Church in nearby Grandin, NJ According to records of this church, William supplied "coles" for each church service. This meant that he, or one of his sons, carried live coals from the smithy forge, in an iron kettle, to the church, early each Sabbath morning. Within a cleared space in the center of the sanctuary was a bed of charcoals, ready to be ignited by the hot coals. If one ignored the smoke, the resultant heat was most welcome. For this service he was paid a slight amount for the coals, the labor involved must have been freely rendered. According to the records on the wall of the church, William was paying for a plot in the nearby church cemetery. However, when he retired, he moved to the town of Clinton, NJ. Then he began attending the newly organized Presbyterian Church there.

      When the War hostilities seemed ended, William and Catherine were ready to leave Cokesbury. On 16 February 1783, William and Catherine Pickle Apgar bought from James and Gertrude Parker, a lot consisting of 47 and 5/10 of an acre of land in Bethlehem Township, Hunterdon County, NJ This lot began at a stake in Cox and Kirkbride's line and corner to Anthony White's lot #130, bordering the Brunswick Pike, west of Clinton. Amongst other land purchases of William and Catherine in the following years was a lot sold to them by William and Euphemia Patterson on 4 July 1804, containing 5 and 11/100 acres. Again, on 31 December 1806, they bought 1 and 98/100 of an acre from James Dunham. Another lot was bought that lay on the North side of the road that ran from the Frame Meeting House (Bethlehem) in Grandin to the Van Syckle's Tavern.

      Just before he was seventy years old, William must have decided to retire, because he began selling off several lots of his land. On 3 June 1821, the above mentioned lots were sold for $2,000.00 to Peter Young. William continued to sell off his land holdings for several years. On 1 January 1830, Peter Young bought, from William and Catherine Pickel Apgar, 2 and 47/100 of an acre of land adjoining the road from Hensfoot to the Cake House, corner to lands of John Taylor.

      The names of William Apgar and his wife, Catherine Pickel Apgar, appear frequently in the baptismal records of the Lebanon Reformed Church, where they served as witnesses. This was before they moved to Bethlehem Township and began attending the Presbyterian Church at Grandin. According to Kenn Stryker Rodda's list of ratables, William was in Lebanon Township as late as 1778-1780. However, even before the treaty was signed ending the Revolutionary War, they were on the move.


History of the Apgar Family in America©, Apgar Family Association, Inc., 2006-2018. All rights reserved.
This site powered by The Next Generation of Genealogy Sitebuilding ©, v. 10.1.2, written by Darrin Lythgoe 2001-2018.